Not From Toronto

Home » Archives » July 2006 » 5 hours of fun for... glue

[Previous entry: "land, ho!!"] [Next entry: "the pace of bureaucracy, bikes, and Glue"]

07/30/2006: "5 hours of fun for... glue"

This afternoon I saw Jannette and the kids off for a few days of visiting her sister's place out in Nova Scotia. Of course, when they go away leaving me and the cats alone I usually have a Honey-Do list to tackle. High on that list tonight was the basement.

Long story short, I wasn't being as careful as I should have been, and I sliced myself with a utility knife. Right on the knuckle of my left index finger. Ouch. With the amount of blood I saw, and the gap I perceived in my finger, I thought it best to seek stitches. Unfortunately, this was 5pm on a Sunday, meaning every place that could stitch me up that WASN'T the emergency room was closed. So off to emergency I went.

The first hospital I went to was backed up. Really backed up. The said it could be hours, and actually recommended that I go to another hospital about 10 minutes away that doesn't take traumas. I decided to try my luck there. Sure enough, it was emptier, but it wasn't much quicker.

I finally got out of the waiting room by just after 8pm. Unfortunately, then I got to wait in my little room for another hour plus. Meanwhile, the peroxide-soaked bandage the triage nurse had put on my finger fell off, so I chucked it in the garbage, and my finger started to heal. By the time the doctor came to see me, I don't think she could have put stitches in unless they de-clotted my cut before hand. So as it was, I got a tetanus booster shot, and my finger was.... glued.

Yes, glued. They have a two-part glue that looks remarkably like a miniature glue dabber. She dabbed my cut three times, put a bandage on it, told me not to get it wet for 24 hours, and seek medical attention if the cut swells, gets red, bleeds profusely, etc., etc. I got home just around 10pm. Yes, 5 hours for a booster shot and some glue.

Moral of the story? If you can stop the bleeding in less than an hour, just bandage the stupid thing up really well, have a beer, and save yourself the $5 parking fee. Sigh.

Tomorrow I'll be back in the basement. First I'll clean up the blood as best I can (none on the walls, just on the floor thank goodness) and then get to what I was supposed to be doing. But more carefully this time.

Replies: 2 Comments

on Sunday, July 30th, Jerry said

Geeze! Glad to hear you're okay. Try not to lose any important body parts, alright? (8-)


on Monday, July 31st, mr.ska said

It's OK... just my left finger. Not like I need to type or play cello or anything, right?

Trust me, I'm being much more careful tonight.

New! RSS Feed!
2004 and on
Dave Howlett's WOMBLOG
Mobuzz TV
Stu's Travels
Warpfish Stories
Mike Diehl
Church Dude

July 2006

Listed on BlogsCanada